Friday, November 5, 2010

Love is patient, love is kind. Love can drive you out of your mind.

Today has been one of those days. I am home on sick leave, four days after having gallbladder surgery. My household consists of 1. Me 2. A two-year-old little girl who will not let me out of her sight 3. A three-year-old little boy who has, for some reason, regressed to pooping in his pull-up 4. A husband who had a dental procedure yesterday and, directly afterward, was headbutted in the very spot the dental work was done by number 3.

At the present, I (#1) am in my bedroom typing as quietly as can be because #2 is sleeping in her crib and #3 is in his bed, on the edge of sleep, but still singing a chorus of "mommy-mommy-mommy-mommy-mommy." #4 has escaped to the grocery store - an unlikely place for him - but apparently worth it to escape the madness that is alive and well in our home today.

It seems I've forgotten #5 and #6. I would've forgotten them completely because #5, my clingy siamese mix, is sitting at my knees, as per usual. However, #6, our elderly, very overweight and diabetic feline just barfed a load on my bedroom carpet. Maybe he was feeling left out. #4 is going to be thrilled about that. Maybe I'll get up and put some paper towels on it or something to at least give him a heads-up. Or maybe not.

#3 has mashed up the mommy-mommy-mommy with Old MacDonald. #2 is stirring and looking for a passy.

What makes no sense whatsoever is that I would rather be doing this, right here, right now, more than anything else I can think of. Why? Because I am in LOVE! Yes, love. I'm in love with all of them. My grumpy husband, my overtired children, my high need cats. Maybe not with the actual puke in the floor, but you get the picture.

Uh-oh...garage door. #2 is awake.

Anyway, this love thing is pretty heavy. It helps me do things I never thought I could. It's like this volcano of JOY that spurts up everytime I doubt that I can take one more step further. It hugs me tight when there are no human arms around. It picks me up and swings me around by my hands and plops me down gently with my head still spinning. It's pretty powerful stuff.


And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. - 1 John 4:16
 

No comments:

Post a Comment